Thursday, August 14, 2014

A New Paradigm

I've spent my entire life trying to avoid fat. Rarely, rarely ate anything fried, always avoiding food items high in fat like olives, avocado, bacon. Now here I am losing five pounds a week and LOOKING for olives and avocado, only two of those amazing foods with no carbs.

Just came back from the grocery store. This time my list contained avocado, raspberries (the ONLY fruit acceptable apparently, but what the heck, they're delicious),  plain Greek yogurt, asparagus, green beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, butter (by God I thought butter was the ultimate sin), and because I've run out already--eggs (a dozen just won't do any more), olives, meat, balsamic vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Then I went home and had a truly delicious lunch of

  • salad greens
  • hard boiled egg white
  • 2-1/2 oz left over chicken
  • 4 raspberries (cut in half)
  • 1/8 avocado
  • 1Tbsp sliced almonds
  • 1Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
  • 1Tbsp olive oil
I was eyeing a lot of prepared roast beefs at the meat counter--heck,  I love a pot roast above all things. However, the store-bought preparations had too much added stuff, so I decided to just buy a plain roast and do it myself. I do recall it's pretty easy.

And I discovered that string cheese has zero carbs!!! How marvelous is that! Apparently brie and cheddar are so low that I can add them in--remembering that list that cautioned no more than 4oz of cheese per day.

Oh, and I ordered a book, "The Grain Brain," wherein a neurologist claims that grains cause us humans all kinds of trouble. I think I needed that to up my motivation.

Bottom line: I'm seeing really high percentages of fat in my daily diet, but apparently that's ok (note that all the experts [except maybe the Grain Brain guy] say this low/no carb diet should be short term only), so I'm comfortable. When I feel the nibbles coming on, I grab olives, or olives and salami, or nuts. It's a pain cooking three meals a day (because I'm not used to it; haven't cooked for anyone in 20 years), but that protein seems to be filling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment