Friday, April 19, 2019

Apparent Plateau

Discovered this morning that my weight loss this month is half of what it has been for the previous three. Oops, plateau? Checked out plateau and decided to follow Ruled Me's advice and tweak my macros. I used their calculator and--considering myself as doing weight training twice a week--came up with what looks pretty much like what I have been doing, except adding about 200 calories on weight training days.

However, if I put myself at sedentary, my allotted calories go way down!

One thing I am seeing, though, is that for some reason Ruled Me consistently has my protein higher than fat. I wonder if that's the problem?

However, Ruled Me has several suggestions for coping with plateau.

One way they suggest combatting the plateau is to try "intermittant energy restriction" which is alternating two weeks of the above plan with two weeks of a maintenance plan which ups calories to over 1500.

Yet another suggestion was "intermittant fasting" which, it turns out, I am already doing!! He writes:

The most common intermittent fasting strategy is to eat only two or three meals in an 8-hour window instead of eating five meals a day spaced out over 10 hours. For example, my typical intermittent fasting schedule consists of eating all of my calories between 11am and 7pm. After that, I don’t allow myself to eat until the next day at 11am.

I have a cup of coffee in the morning but usually eat nothing til lunch at 11:00 and rarely eat past 7 pm.

A final suggestion I might consider is a "fat fast" wherein you:
  • 1000 – 1200 calories a day for 3 days.
  • 80-90% calories from fat.
  • Eating 4-5 times a day.

Actually I'm surprised he didn't suggest a plain ol' fast. Seems like Dr. Perlman liked that.  And I think that's what I'm going to do for the weekend. And on Monday I'll resume with the lower allotted calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment