Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Another Motive for Losing Weight

I had a CT Scan last week because it's a new protocol to screen former heavy smokers for pre-cancer so prophylactic treatment can begin if warranted. Happily, I don't need pre-cancer treatment, but the test did reveal that i have "mild emphysema." 

Why lose weight? Originally, there was all the stuff out there about how "everything is better when you're not fat." Then there's my recent problem of not being able to exercise to the extent "I used to." Then there's "Oh, you have asthma so lose weight to improve lung function." Now it's "You have mild emphysema so lose weight to improve lung function."  Guess I'll continue to lose weight.

Interestingly, looking on the Internet (of course) for information about emphysema, I found new studies that show beta carotene can regenerate alveoli. Wow! So in an addendum to my ketosis diet, I will plan that all my carbs will come from beta carotene. This means sweet potatoes (yumm!), carrots, spinach, squash.

So...the Pumpkin Pie Pudding I made yesterday and ate for dessert today is PERFECT! Without the cream I have 11 grams of beta carotene, 6 grams fat, and 7 grams protein. The cream just adds to the perfection (and I can't tell you the number of times I've needed to drink  a quarter cup of cream at night just to get the numbers right).

No comments:

Post a Comment